Russia to supply Georgia’s occupied Abkhazia region with electricity

27 Feb 2019 - 18:57

  • Last year about 40% of generated electricity from Enguri HPP was delivered to the occupied region of Abkhazia. Photo: Georgian State Electrosystem.

Agenda.ge, 27 Feb 2019 - 18:57, Tbilisi,Georgia

Russia will supply Georgia’s occupied region of Abkhazia with electricity from today due to the critical situation at the Enguri HPP.

From 20 February scheduled power outages began in Abkhazia that last three hours per day in order to deal with a decline in the level of water in the reservoir of the Enguri HPP 

Gudauta, Gagra and part of Sokhumi will be supplied with electricity from Russia, while the rest of occupied Abkhazia will be supplied with electricity from the Enguri HPP.

The Ministry of Economy of Georgia announced that the Electricity System Commercial Operator (ESCO) of Georgia and Russian Company Inter RAO had signed an agreement on providing the occupied region of Abkhazia with electricity from Russia.

The Ministry of Economy explained that the short-term contract with Inter RAO was signed to prevent the resumption of Enguri HPP and to maintain the optimal balance.

The Ministry of Economy said that since the energy consumption increased in Abkhazia, the government of Georgia used“similar mechanisms” to balance the energy deficit in the region.

Last year about 60% of generated electricity from Enguri HPP was delivered to the controlled territory of Georgia, while the rest 40% to the occupied region of Abkhazia. 

Back